It’s very hard to talk about the hottest altcoins due to the fact that the market is very volatile. One coin can be very hot today only to plummet to the deepest recesses of the cryptomarket black hole.
We’ve seen coins come and go, but based on market predictions as well as the technology behind the coins, these are the cryptocurrency to look out for not just in 2018 but in the future, as well.
- DigiByte (DGB) – The forecast for the DGB is very high for this year. While it’s currently priced at $0.034762, it’s projected to breach the $5 mark in five years. If you are investing $200 on DGB coin today, you will earn more than $30,000 by 2023. It’s been called the “sleeping giant” and “hidden gem” so you know this is a good bet.
- Ark (ARK) – This is one of the hottest currencies right now. The price is up $2.55 but it’s expected to hit $410.69, according to the five-year forecast. That means your investment of $200 today will balloon to $31,960 by 2023.
- Tokencard (TKN) – Works like a smart wallet or a debit and credit card where you can pay with digital coins. Surprisingly enough, a good number of people still are not aware of its existence despite the clear convenience it provides. The current price is up $1.43 but it’s seen to balloon to $277.85 in five years. If you invest $200 today, your money will yield $38,860 by 2023.
- Stellar (XLM) – The current price for Stellar is $0.295685 but the five-year forecast for this altcoin is an astounding $47.02. It’s billed to be very fast as well as cheap. You can send this currency for less than a penny in just three seconds. It was founded by a non-profit aiming to cut down the cost of international cash transfers. Its founder, Jeb McCaleb, is also the co-founder of Ripple.
- Ripple (XRP) –Ripplehas been sending ripples to the cryptocurrency industry in recent years after it was founded in 2012. It’s been described as the Goldman Sachs of crypto. The current price hovers around $0.617 but market analysts predict that it will breach its previous high of $4.5, according to the five-year forecast for the altcoin. If you invested $100 on the coin today, the ROI will hit $750.22 in 2023.
- Golem (GNT) – The current price for GNT is down to $0.611222. However, the five-year market forecast for Golem is that the coin will hit $68.95. Investing $200 today in GNT will yield $22,000 in 2023. The decentralization and open-source concept mean that anyone can access it. Basically, if you have an extra computing power, you can lend the surplus to somebody else. The blockchain tech will then pool together all that computing power and rent it out.
- Cardano (ADA) – This coin is based on a peer-reviewed system founded by Charles Hoskinson, one of the pioneers of Ethereum, and Jeremy Wood. This altcoin was supposed to be the Ethereum killer. The blockchain is fully secure and scalable. Right now, it’s down to $0.220769 but the five-year forecast put the price of the coin at $24.31. If you are going to invest $200 today, the ROI will be $21,480 by 2023.
- Red Pulse (RPX) – RPX can be considered a sleeper. The team behind the blockchain has been thriving in China since 2014. The Hong Kong-based company was also shortlisted for the Accenture Fintech Innovation Lab in 2017. There are existing customers and investors, plus the product works. To date, the price of Red Pulse is $0.056604 but it’s expected to increase to $10.41 in five years’ time.
Perhaps, Verge (XVG) should also be mentioned as a nomination. Despite the recent DDOS attacks, the coin is seen by most market forecasters as very stable. It also proved to be a survivor as in the case when the prices of coins dropped at the start of 2018 but it was one of the least affected. The maximum ceiling for the coin was set at 16.5 billion so there’s a lot out there in circulation.
Admittedly, Verge was one of the coins that were attacked. However, Kris Chase, the marketing head of Verge, tweeted that they are on the verge (no pun intended) of implementing a new codebase that will drastically improve security. He dismissed the attacks as a mere FUD (an industry term which means fear, uncertainty, and doubt).
The altcoin also got the vote of confidence of airline carrier Tapjets Inc., which announced that it was considering Verge, Ripple and Litecoin as payment for its services. It ran a poll of its customers to determine the coin they will accept. After 18,000 responses, XVG was neck-and-neck with LTC.
It’s hard to talk about cryptocurrency without addressing the Fifty-One Percent attacks. Although they have become quite a headache, these have been largely contained. Bigger and more stable currencies are implementing dark gravity well (DGW), which is a type of algorithm that tweaks the complexity and impenetrability. The malicious miner will have to overheat his system for all the hashing power necessary to take over the coin.
This is why hackers are targeting the smaller coins, which number more than 1,500 right now, in order to fake the transaction; some miners also commander one coin to boost the price of another currency.
But this is also a wake-up call on the industry to make the transactions more secure. Much of the fear is the result of the lack of awareness by the public. The truth is miners at 51 percent have no power to take over the funds or to change all the rules.
What Makes a Good Currency?
Coins will come and go, but there are elements that will tell analysts of the predictive value of the blockchain. Among these elements are usability and functionality, demand, ease of transfer, security and stability, life cycle, and the community behind the coin.